Online Safety News Page
(⇓Keep scrolling down for MORE news items !⇓)
There is a new platform children and young people are using called ‘Hollerchat’. It is a video chat system where you are connected with a random person around the world to chat face to face.
Whilst seeking some advice about this we have been made aware of a website which is quite useful. The link is
Safeguarding Children using Apps:
NSPCC has a new app for children. The app can be downloaded free onto a mobile devise to which it will be discreetly stored, not visible as a child line app. The app provides counselling to young people directly through their mobile devises and allows them a safe space to explore problem pages, keep track of their mood and write down their thoughts and get 1-2-1 chat with a counsellor.
Instagram is a photo and video sharing app that is popular with teens. People on Instagram can connect with one another through comments, captions and hashtags on photos and videos.
There is information on safety in Instagram’s Help Centre.
Instagram also has advice for parents. This advice explains what Instagram is, as well as how it works. It also offers key safety advice.
You can find out more about Instagram’s safety features in the Help Centre. This includes:
- Blocking: When people use the blocking feature, the person they block can’t view their posts or search for their Instagram account.
- Reporting a Post: You can report inappropriate posts, comments or people by using the built-in reporting features in the app.
- Deleting or Reporting Comments: You can flag or delete a comment as abuse or spam by swiping left on it.
- Privacy Settings: You can adjust your privacy settings to make your account private. This means that anyone who wants to see your photos or videos, followers, or following lists will have to send you a follow request for you to approve or ignore.
Terms and conditions
Instagram have community guidelines that outline what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour on the site.
Their five short rules are:
- Post your own photos and videos
- Keep your clothes on
- Be respectful
- Don’t spam
- HAVE FUN!
They also have a legal document that explain the terms and conditions of using the site.
13 years +
Anyone 13 and older can create an Instagram account by registering an email address and selecting a username.