CELEBRATING OUR SUCCESS!
Portfield School Has Been Awarded
The Signalong Friendly Silver Award 2021/2022!
ASSOCIATION FOR PHYSICAL EDUCATION
We are delighted that in February 2019, we were awarded the AfPE Quality Mark for PE and sport. Portfield School has been the first special school in Wales to meet all the high standards of this prestigious award by demonstrating commitment and progress in physical education, sports development, fitness and wellbeing. Well done to all!
UNICEF RIGHTS RESPECTING SCHOOLS
We are delighted to announce that we have now achieved our Level 2 Award. The UNICEF Rights Respecting Schools Award recognises that our school has the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) at the heart of the school’s culture and ethos to improve the well-being of every child and to nurture their talents and abilities to reach their fullest potential. We hope that this award will recognise the work that we do to empower our students to become active citizens and learners.
HEALTHY SCHOOLS INITIATIVE
After achieving the Healthy Schools Award in November 2018 , we have been working hard towards the Welsh Assembly NAHPS Award (National Award for Health Promoting Schools) and are delighted to announce that we have become one of the first Special Schools in Wales to achieve this prestigious Award. A whole school approach has been implemented and the school Well Being Committee plans for whole school action, with meetings taking place regularly with the Healthy School Co-ordinator. The award recognises 7 health topics that should be covered throughout a school’s involvement in the scheme:
- Food and Fitness
- Mental and Emotional Health and Well Being
- Personal Development and Relationships
- Substance Use and Misuse
- Safety and
ACTIVE MARC CYMRU AWARD
We are delighted to have achieved this award from Sport Wales and the Association for Physical Education in recognition of our commitment to developing high quality physical education and school sport and for promoting the benefits of physical activity.
The Award recognises the high priority that all our staff place on pupils’ physical development and well being, as well as the diversity of opportunities on offer through the PE curriculum and elsewhere throughout the School.
SUSTAINABLE SCHOOLS/ECO AWARD
Portfield School has achieved the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Acorn Sustainable Schools Award and proudly displays the tree plaques in our entrance foyer in lower school. We have also achieved the Silver Eco School Award.
Portfield School successfully achieves NAACE ICT award 2019
Following a rigorous assessment of all aspects of learning and teaching, internet safety and creative use of technology the report we received telling us we had successfully achieved the NAACE ICT award again stated the following:
- Portfield Special School shows exceptional use of technology in teaching and learning both in school and beyond. This supports and enhances the learning experience of Special Needs pupils and demonstrates outstanding communication activity across the whole school and community.
- Substantial evidence was presented to the assessor in respect of progress and developments achieved in each of the six elements of the Self Review Framework since the initial ICT Mark was awarded.
- Investment in ICT technology has had a significant impact on teaching and learning and the schools overall vision includes the needs of the wider school community and it is informed by developments in ICT and exemplary educational practice nationally.
- It is informed, understood and embraced by all staff, governors and pupils and is supported by parents/carers and the wider community.
- E-safeguarding is clearly detailed within the school vision in relation to keeping all members of the school community safe. The school frequently reviews and updates the place of ICT within its overall vision.
- Evidence was also provided as to how the school plans for digital capability with a wide range of high-quality experiences across the whole curriculum. Planning at all levels ensures that pupils are challenged to make creative use of ICT that extend their capabilities.
- All staff make use of ICT as an integral and natural part of learning and teaching across all curriculum areas and year groups.
Portfield School is the first Special School in Wales to receive award for Online Safety
Assessors from the South West Grid for Learning recently visited Portfield School to review the school’s online safety provision. The Assessors met school staff, parents and carers, Governors and pupils and were pleased to find that the school provides a high level of protection for users of all digital technologies.
The South West Grid for Learning Trust provides the internet connection and a range of other services to schools across the SW region and, as the lead partner in the UK Safer Internet Centre, is in the forefront of national and international developments in online safety. To enhance these services, they have developed a tool to help schools address online safety issues which include a stronger focus on safeguarding. The online tool allows schools to evaluate their online safety policy and practice and then suggests how the school might do more to protect young people and staff.
To apply for the 360 degree safe Online Safety Mark, schools have to reach a series of benchmark levels when they complete the online self-review. The evidence is then verified by a visit from experienced Assessors.
The Online Safety Mark focus is on integrating online safety into school policy and the curriculum, challenging teachers and leaders in the school to think about their provision and its continual development.
The assessors said strengths included:
- A strong culture of safeguarding and care
- Strong leadership across a breadth of staff
- Professional practice and awareness of key issues and processes
- Pupil engagement in the process
- Incident reporting, monitoring and follow up
- Engagement with the wider communityPortfield has been a digital pioneer school since 2015 and have developed a very positive and creative approach to promoting safe and acceptable online behaviour.
- Pictured are some of our digital pupil champions from The Tech Team having received the award today.
CAREERS WALES QUALITY MARK
The school was first presented with the Careers Wales Quality Mark in July 2007. We were delighted to be one of the first Special Schools in Wales to achieve this award. Our commitment to work experience and preparing our young people for the world of work has once again been recognised in 2015.
WELSH HERITAGE AWARD
We have won this prestigious award for the last five years! In 2015 our project was ‘Pembrokeshire’s got Talent – Books, Authors and Stories‘ and investigated local authors and their work. The judges were full of praise for the pupils and the way they could tell them all about the work and research they had done. They felt the pupils were a credit to our school and that their hard work reflected the work and creativity of the staff in planning and teaching the projects.
BASIC SKILLS / QUALITY AWARD
In July 2010 the school was re-assessed by an external advisor and we were delighted to be successful in meeting the criteria for achieving the Basic Skills Quality Standard in both Primary and Secondary areas for another 3 years. The criteria are a range of skills that include: * effective assessments * improving literacy and numeracy standards * staff training * planning and monitoring progress * evaluating how effective we are We have now held this award since 2001 (it changed from the ‘Basic Skills Quality Mark’ to ‘Quality Award’ in 2008).
OUTSTANDING SCHOOL TEAM AWARD 2010
Portfield School’s team of 80 staff are, without doubt, outstanding. Our dedicated staff develop their own skills and knowledge to enable them to help pupils achieve their very best. Staff will also go the extra mile, volunteering to run lunchtime, football, gardening clubs, Duke of Edinburgh and Hairdressing sessions and enabling students to take part in competitions and presentations by accompanying them to places such as London and Cardiff and on residential courses. Governors are hugely supportive, they know the school well and love to come in to support events and celebrations as well as volunteering when time permits. Our parents play a vital part in the education of their children and we see them as part of the school team, encouraging close links between home and school.
Cleaners take great pride in both our buildings and also attend training sessions.
Parents and professionals in Pembrokeshire recognise the high quality care and education that staff deliver at Portfield School to enable every child to develop and have fun.